Wednesday, July 8, 2009

gluten free, dairy free what else are we free of next?

I really dont want to know. So far Chubby has made massive improvements with the dairy cut out of his diet! He is feeling better, getting more regular, its good! His appetite seems to be doing better. We are now on part 2, removing gluten. You know it sounds simple, but its not, its in everything. My cans of tomato soup have it! Its every where. I cant make 2 meals, one for him one for everyone else, I dont have time and health not up to that. Also if its in the house I run the risk of him eating it and getting sick, so we all get gluten free. We only do it a short time, unless there is more improvement then we continue. So we started today. I am kinda taking it slow, removing as much as I can as I go. Its a shock to see how much has wheat in it. Today was a busy day, one I totally enjoyed. I was doing things I love to do, things I have missed doing daily since L was arrested. I made Gluten free bread(from here on out referred to as G-free cause I am to lazy to type it) it was not bad. Everyone ate some, did not mind it much. The texture is like corn bread, we all love corn bread. I will try more recipes. I made 2 loafs. I threw together a G free flour mix so its already to go for pancakes or whatever. I made potato flour and potato starch. That was a pain! But the starch turned out awesome, the flour not as good. Doing it a little different next time I think. Then we made chocolate coconut milk ice cream! iT WAS AWESOME! No dairy for Chubs means no ice cream. I have made yogurt from coconut milk and its good, now I have ice cream for him. It was so good, creamy. Its a soft serve, not real firm. But thats ok, its creamy and awesome. I plan on making more soon when its gone. I am looking for more good recipes, found some that look awesome. Found one with yams, apple, lime and cilantro. We are having it tomorrow, I hope.
For now I'll share the recipes used today, if your brave enough givem a try.
the ice cream first cause it was awesome! I would eat this anytime!
This was enough for our family- 7 kids 2 adults. With some left over!
Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
6 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
1 2/3 cup of cocoa powder
6 tablespoons agave syrup or b sugar(I used b sugar)
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
Almond milk enough to fill line on ice cream maker after using 6 cans coconut milk

Whisk cocoa powder in a small amount of coconut milk, until smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until well combined. Or dump all ingredients together and blend with a stick blender. Make according to your machines instructions.

Can use any sweetener choose in place of agave syrup

The bread I made:

G free bread- 2 loafs
2 ½ c rice flour
2 ½ c oat flour
1 1/3 c tapioca flour
2 tsp salt
3 TBS b sugar

Wet Ingredient
1 can coconut milk, and the rest soy to make 3 cups
4TBS olive oil
2 TBS yeast
4 eggs
1. In a small bowl, combine milk and yeast.
2. Place all dry ingredients in a mixer bowl and wisk through to mix together.
3. Add yeast mixture, coconut oil and eggs.
4. Using an electric mixer, mix dough for 2 mins on medium.
5. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter.
6. Spread batter evenly into the pan.
7. Cover pan with greased saran wrap.
8. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
10. Bake dough for 50 minutes.
11. Remove bread from oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
12. Ater five minutes, turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes one 9x5 loaf
Heres a copy of the directions for potato flour and starch the blog is here
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/armoorefam/47426/
The bread was not bad. I found a recipe for potato bread I am going to try. Hope it turns out good!
anyone have any dairy, gluten free recipes you want to share? Either email or comment with it, I would love to see more!

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe for chocolate coconut milk ice cream sounds delicious! We've been enjoying Purely Decadent coconut milk ice cream and So Delicious coconut milk yogurt and beverages (instead of almond, soy, or rice milk) at our dairy-free gluten-free home. You may want to try them, too!

    ReplyDelete